Fractal Talk

I’m waiting for the official release.
Patience is key.
Also me
1714000403211.gif

These days, whenever a new product is announced my first question is: what can it do that the FM9 can't?

I'm still waiting for a time when the answer is something other than, "nothing I care about."
There’s actually a few quality of life features that the Helix can do that the Fractal platform currently can’t.

For example, accessing the Blocks Library directly from the hardware. For me, that’d be extremely handy when access to a laptop/editor isn’t available.

...I remember why I kept saying the FAS Hot Rod ones one of my favorite amps a while back. Now that I'm back to the FM3, I like that amp a LOT!

On beta 8, I can get very close to NAM profiles of my Ceriatone King Kong 100W with very little extra tweaks:
- had tube mismatch at full tilt for the extra nasties in the high-end
- bounced the B+ time constant like @Stone suggested
- had the "AC line frequency" set to 50Hz (I'm in Europe and the real amp goes into a 50Hz socket). 60Hz is a bit smoother; I like 50 better
- Preamp High treble @ 2 dB
- Preamp High Cut Frequency at full
- 4x12 Recto Straight curve with the Dyna-Cab 4x12 Recto Straight cab: Ribbon and Condenser mics dead center at 0 db mix each

After the latest release there is not much more I really would want out of this generation of Fractal
I still would like a Bogner XTC 101b from the 90s
Because I think that the best representation of that amp especially the blue channel
And maybe a feedbacker like the Freqout but other than that at least from and effects / amps standpoint not really missing anything

These days, whenever a new product is announced my first question is: what can it do that the FM9 can't?

I'm still waiting for a time when the answer is something other than, "nothing I care about."

UI and Usability still have massive areas for improvement still, even with just the button layout currently on the FM3/FM9/Axe-FX III.

But I get what you mean about content/features. Every time I even consider giving something like a Quad Cortex another try, I think about the delays/reverbs/synth presets/amp models I'd be hoping against hope eventually get added to the platform just to bring it to some kind of parity. The only competitor with a variety even somewhat close would be Line 6, and I already have HX software and hardware.

Like @GTR37, I could maybe use a discrete feedbacker effect (I couldn't get the @2112/Simeon Harris version to work with a control switch on my FM9 for the life of me). But that's about it.

After the latest release there is not much more I really would want out of this generation of Fractal
I still would like a Bogner XTC 101b from the 90s
Because I think that the best representation of that amp especially the blue channel
And maybe a feedbacker like the Freqout but other than that at least from and effects / amps standpoint not really missing anything
Granular delays and a looper that doesn't suck would be nice.

I haven't even bothered with the latest update on my FM9 yet. I use it with my band, but it rarely comes out of the bag at home.

I haven't been spending much time in this thread, but I just happened to bump into Leon Todd's video on YouTube. By coincidence, I'd just decided to give the FM3 a proper go a couple of days ago. Gutted my studio and rebuilt around the FM3 to see how it would go. (tl;dr - Loving the sounds; living with FM3 Edit; sometimes disappointed at how fast CPU runs out; missing some I/O.)

PERFECT TIMING for this f/w update. Gapless switching is amazing! I'm just waiting to hear what the downside is. (There must be one, or it wouldn't be switchable.)

There's an excellent condition FM3 on the Verb for only $900 w/free shipping if anyone is interested.

Back