ANNOUNCEMENT! The Gear Forum's First Ever GREATEST HITS Album

Awesome!

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Listening now! Little disappointed no one made me a 30-45 second rock ballad for me and the missus, but otherwise I'm excited to dig in!
We assigned that task to @FuzzyAce but he was too busy educating @DrewJD82 on the dangers of thinking you know all the extra-curricular uses of pinecones and Taco Bell. So, sacrifices had to be made, natch.

Yep, the whole software/hardware thing can be a pita. I used to run protools years ago so I know all too well the frustration it can bring. So getting that end of the recording process in sync and predictable definitely frees up the creativity. I still battle with having everything I want or need hooked up and ready to go, so that's always a WIP. Luckily I've been using Helix Native more and more so getting a great sound quickly has been working for me. It's nice not having to fuss too much with mics and outboard gear lately even though I still have and love that stuff.
I used ProTools for years, until they priced me out of the market. I even had a conversation with them about it before I ditched them. They just didn't care. I went to Logic and stopped my annual plan with them a couple of years ago. They have been sending me emails of special offers to get me to come back. That isn't going to happen. Logic isn't costing me anything more each year like ProTools was. It does everything I need and does it pretty well.

I used ProTools for years, until they priced me out of the market. I even had a conversation with them about it before I ditched them. They just didn't care. I went to Logic and stopped my annual plan with them a couple of years ago. They have been sending me emails of special offers to get me to come back. That isn't going to happen. Logic isn't costing me anything more each year like ProTools was. It does everything I need and does it pretty well.
Had the same experience, but with Steinberg Cubase several years back.

Switched to Reaper. Used it for free for years, then paid the $60 registration fee and haven't looked back.

Reaper can do everything the other DAWS can do.

Switched to Reaper. Used it for free for years, then paid the $60 registration fee and haven't looked back.

I have a license for Reaper too. I used it when it was free and decided that would be my backup DAW. It is well worth the price.

I needed Protools again a few years ago for some old projects and man I didn't miss it at all. I've been using Studio One for years now and very happy. I just do the $15 a month which gets you everything. After a year you can download a full version to always keep if you want. That is something they just started when you're on that monthly plan. Plus it's so intuitive to use and has a lot of great features.

I needed Protools again a few years ago for some old projects and man I didn't miss it at all. I've been using Studio One for years now and very happy. I just do the $15 a month which gets you everything. After a year you can download a full version to always keep if you want. That is something they just started when you're on that monthly plan. Plus it's so intuitive to use and has a lot of great features.
I still have a full version of it. I am not sure what version it is but the way I got into the annual plan let me keep whatever the full version was that I was licensed to use on the plan I was on.

I still have a full version of it. I am not sure what version it is but the way I got into the annual plan let me keep whatever the full version was that I was licensed to use on the plan I was on.
I had Logic about 20 yrs ago and it was cool, but it never really caught on with me because I was knee deep in PT. I had Ableton for a number of years too which was fun.

I did the same.

I used Cubase in the early 00's. Switched to Sonar around 2005 and then went on recording hiatus.

I bought a license for Reaper 5.0 in 2016 for $60.

I just recently had to pay another $60 to upgrade to 7.0 (8 years later) it lasts another 2 versions so I'm good for another 8 years

Back