ANNOUNCEMENT! The Gear Forum's First Ever GREATEST HITS Album

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
TGF's GREATEST HITS VOLUME I is now live!

Rejoice!

Rejoice Again!

Ok, stop rejoicing and go listen.

Then come back here and Rejoice Again!

1712677407865.jpeg

Feel bad? You started this whole shebang. Or is it a "how did that pinecone get all the way up there?" sorta feel bad?

And, @Moondog Wily is the video man of the hour.

Bro, I can take a fuckin’ pine one. I grew up in the Pine Tree State, after all.

I certainly feel bad not participating as much and not keeping up to date on the going’s on. Nothin’ for you to worry about, it’s the same nervous nancy thinking that keeps my work ethic in check at my job. :rofl

And tight work, @Moondog Wily!!!!!

Last edited:
Man, tight work, guys!!!

I can’t help feeling a bit bad for being out of the loop on this, but who did all the video graphics for the videos? This is fucking awesome!!!

Bro, I can take a fuckin’ pine one. I grew up in the Pine Tree State, after all.

I certainly feel bad not participating as much and not keeping up to date on the going’s on. Nothin’ for you to worry about, it’s the same nervous nancy thinking that keeps my work ethic in check at my job. :rofl

And tight work, @Moondog Wily!!!!!
Thanks Drew! I did what I could with the limited budget ;~)) Glad I could help!!

That said, each artist provided their own artwork. I just dressed it up a bit for consistency/completeness and bounced some stuff around the edges ;~))

Last edited:
Good stuff guys!

One of these days I will get some of my stuff recorded and uploaded. I have been running into issues getting something started. I set down to do some things and draw blanks...

Last edited:
Good stuff guys!

One of these days I will get some of my stuff recorded and uploaded. I have been running into issues getting something started. I set down to do some things and draw blanks...
Hope you post some!
Something that helped me last season was setting a certain criteria for the tracks. For example - only use red gear. only use yellow pedals, etc. It helped me focus my thoughts on that aspect rather than what the song would or should be. It forces you to use certain combinations of gear you may not normally use... which I think gets the creative juices flowing.

Hope you post some!
Something that helped me last season was setting a certain criteria for the tracks. For example - only use red gear. only use yellow pedals, etc. It helped me focus my thoughts on that aspect rather than what the song would or should be. It forces you to use certain combinations of gear you may not normally use... which I think gets the creative juices flowing.
My problem has been twofold. I had a lot of software issues because I hadn't used the computer I record on for a while. I got those all worked out and then one of them popped back up. I had to reinstall some things that took a while. I also had an issue where the batteries blew up in my keyboard and mouse. I was able to resurrect them but the mouse ended up dying so I had to buy a new one. I recently bought a MIDI controller because when I was spending more time with the recording gear it was really cumbersome not having a unit like this to make some things easier. I was doing everything manually and trying to do keyboard (the instrument) parts on the computer keyboard (the one you type on). What a PITA. I have been working my way through the learning curve on the MIDI controller. I fell pretty decent with it now and can use it well enough that I don't see that holding me back. At this point all of the hardware and software is working like it should. That should end these issues.

The second is that I tried to use some plugins for guitar sounds to streamline things a bit. Wow, what a crap show. I couldn't get anything I liked, especially when applying an sort of drive to it. The OD tones were horrible. I have a Kemper and an FM9. I will be using those the next time I get to spend some time with the rig. I have had some really good tones with both of them and I know how to use them so there won't be a bunch of fiddling around with them to get good tones.

These issues have caused a complete block in my creativity. Everything I play just sounds like I just started playing guitar to me. I am going to have to just put some backing tracks on and just blow some stuff over it until I get this worked out. I want to start with some simple chord progressions and get some solid rhythms laid down and take it from there. I am going to have to fight the thought that I know I am capable of much better than this and deleting things. I know that things don't always sound like music in the beginning when laying down just one part. It starts to come together as you build it up. I just need to get to the point where it starts to sound like something interesting to me. There are many days when I feel like it shouldn't be this hard. I have jumped up on many stages with guys that I don't play with regularly or have never played with before and do just fine with that. When I can't get something flowing just on my own it ticks me off a bit.

Okay, rant over...

My problem has been twofold. I had a lot of software issues because I hadn't used the computer I record on for a while. I got those all worked out and then one of them popped back up. I had to reinstall some things that took a while. I also had an issue where the batteries blew up in my keyboard and mouse. I was able to resurrect them but the mouse ended up dying so I had to buy a new one. I recently bought a MIDI controller because when I was spending more time with the recording gear it was really cumbersome not having a unit like this to make some things easier. I was doing everything manually and trying to do keyboard (the instrument) parts on the computer keyboard (the one you type on). What a PITA. I have been working my way through the learning curve on the MIDI controller. I fell pretty decent with it now and can use it well enough that I don't see that holding me back. At this point all of the hardware and software is working like it should. That should end these issues.

The second is that I tried to use some plugins for guitar sounds to streamline things a bit. Wow, what a crap show. I couldn't get anything I liked, especially when applying an sort of drive to it. The OD tones were horrible. I have a Kemper and an FM9. I will be using those the next time I get to spend some time with the rig. I have had some really good tones with both of them and I know how to use them so there won't be a bunch of fiddling around with them to get good tones.

These issues have caused a complete block in my creativity. Everything I play just sounds like I just started playing guitar to me. I am going to have to just put some backing tracks on and just blow some stuff over it until I get this worked out. I want to start with some simple chord progressions and get some solid rhythms laid down and take it from there. I am going to have to fight the thought that I know I am capable of much better than this and deleting things. I know that things don't always sound like music in the beginning when laying down just one part. It starts to come together as you build it up. I just need to get to the point where it starts to sound like something interesting to me. There are many days when I feel like it shouldn't be this hard. I have jumped up on many stages with guys that I don't play with regularly or have never played with before and do just fine with that. When I can't get something flowing just on my own it ticks me off a bit.

Okay, rant over...
Yep, the whole software/hardware thing can be a pita. I used to run protools years ago so I know all too well the frustration it can bring. So getting that end of the recording process in sync and predictable definitely frees up the creativity. I still battle with having everything I want or need hooked up and ready to go, so that's always a WIP. Luckily I've been using Helix Native more and more so getting a great sound quickly has been working for me. It's nice not having to fuss too much with mics and outboard gear lately even though I still have and love that stuff.

Back