What Is Most Responsible For Harmonic Content, In Your Opinion?

Which One Matters Most?

• Total voters
Of course, but the more drastical change is still in frequency content.

Fwiw, this here is one of the pickup arrangements I fooled around with on my G&L. I've tried just about any combination of potential bridge pickups in any order. The differences are absolutely staggering. For example, the Little 59 installed in that picture, sounds absolutely lackluster in that position, the other way around it's fine, the Fender Noiseless is fine the other way around, too, but the inbetween positions using it aren't too great.
I remember watching an interview with the guy who runs Charvel, and he was saying there's a spot between where all bridge pickups go, and the neck pickup.. and there's a natural harmonic there.

If you place a pickup there, it will be rich with harmonic content.. but no guitar manufacturer ever does it.

I've only ever seen a couple of examples of this being done.

mnGYEvd.jpg

I remember watching an interview with the guy who runs Charvel, and he was saying there's a spot between where all bridge pickups go, and the neck pickup.. and there's a natural harmonic there.

If you place a pickup there, it will be rich with harmonic content.. but no guitar manufacturer ever does it.

I've only ever seen a couple of examples of this being done.

mnGYEvd.jpg
I guess that makes sense, sort of. They may be concentrated in an area, but they're still going to be 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7 the distance from the fretted note to the bridge, and those nodes are going to move, depending on the note being fretted.

The instrument will produce the harmonics when a note is struck, but you won't really hear them without the amplifier's compression bringing the harmonics up to a similar volume as the fundamental note.

So, it's both. You might as well ask "what is responsible for a car going forward on the road? The engine or the tires?" It's the way they all work together that makes the system work. Take any one of them away and the whole thing ceases to function.

Last edited:
I guess that makes sense, sort of. They may be concentrated in an area, but they're still going to be 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7 the distance from the fretted note to the bridge, and those nodes are going to move, depending on the note being fretted.
6d3gYwO.jpg

The instrument will produce the harmonics when a note is struck, but you won't really hear them without the amplifier's compression bringing the harmonics up to a similar volume as the fundamental note.

So, it's both. You might as well ask "what is responsible for a car going forward on the road? The engine or the tires?" It's the way they all work together that makes the system work. Take any one of them away and the whole thing ceases to function.
No because they are generated by the instrument itself entirely. Amplifying them after the fact is just that.

I don’t know, man. My amps adds a lot of things that aren’t present in the guitar signal. Distortion, crossover anomalies, compression, oscillations, volume, noise, feedback, harmonics, et al. Electronic components can add harmonic content. Amplifiers just aren’t as linear as you’d expect. In some cases, like hi-fi, you’d attempt to minimize additions of harmonics and distortion, but not with guitar amplifiers.

The more distortion, compression and harmonics the amplifier adds, the less the other components matter.

No because they are generated by the instrument itself entirely. Amplifying them after the fact is just that.

So in your stampede to correct somebody you think is WRONG ON THE INTERNET LORD HAVE MERCY, it looks like you missed the point of my post.

I literally said "the instrument will produce the harmonics." It's right there in the first sentence of that post. Feel free to read it again.

After that, I went on to say that most most of those harmonics are quiet enough, relative to the fundamental, that they are effectively inaudible. The compression of an amplifier will bring the volume of the fundamental and the volume of those harmonics closer to parity, making the harmonics much more audible.

The original question "what is most responsible for harmonics?" could be taken several ways. If the person was literally only wondering about their origin, then yeah it's the instrument. But if it's more probably "what is most responsible for making harmonics audible?" then it's a combination of the instrument and the amplifier. I wrote my original post to try and answer both of those implied questions.

Last edited:
After that, I went on to say that most most of those harmonics are quiet enough, relative to the fundamental, that they are effectively inaudible.

Precisely.
Squeezing out pinch harmonics from a non amplified classical nylon string guitar? Well, good luck with that (of course, it actually works, but the level is just as low as you described).

So in your stampede to correct somebody you think is WRONG ON THE INTERNET LORD HAVE MERCY, it looks like you missed the point of my post.

I literally said "the instrument will produce the harmonics." It's right there in the first sentence of that post. Feel free to read it again.

After that, I went on to say that most most of those harmonics are quiet enough, relative to the fundamental, that they are effectively inaudible. The compression of an amplifier will bring the volume of the fundamental and the volume of those harmonics closer to parity, making the harmonics much more audible.

The original question "what is most responsible for harmonics?" could be taken several ways. If the person was literally only wondering about their origin, then yeah it's the instrument. But if it's more probably "what is most responsible for making harmonics audible?" then it's a combination of the instrument and the amplifier. I wrote my original post to try and answer both of those implied questions.
The car analogy is BS, it is still the instrument and then amplify it.

I can't believe there are 13 people that think you can amplify something that isn't there. Which would be the case if it didn't come from the instrument.
"Harmonic distortion is measured by applying a spectrally pure sine wave to an amplifier in a defined circuit configuration and observing the output spectrum....Harmonic distortion may be measured by looking at the output spectrum on a spectrum analyzer and observing the values of the second, third, fourth, etc., harmonics with respect to the amplitude of the fundamental signal.

"Harmonic distortion is measured by applying a spectrally pure sine wave to an amplifier in a defined circuit configuration and observing the output spectrum....Harmonic distortion may be measured by looking at the output spectrum on a spectrum analyzer and observing the values of the second, third, fourth, etc., harmonics with respect to the amplitude of the fundamental signal.

This is a different subject .🤣

This is a different subject .🤣
I mean, when you define the subject as "what creates the harmonics that are only created by the guitar, the guitar or the amp?" then yeah, its a different subject. But that's also a stupidly defined subject:rofl:rofl:rofl

The car analogy is BS, it is still the instrument and then amplify it.

Hahaha ok fella.

nqUXEOv.gif

Take a guitar and play it through a Fender Twin. You'll hear a ton of fundamental notes, but minimal harmonics.
Take that same guitar and play it through a Peavey 5150's gained up lead channel. You'll hear an almost even balance fundamental notes and harmonics.

Yes both instruments will literally produce the same harmonics at their source, but you'll hear more of them through the 5150 rig due to the compression and distortion.

To continue the completely valid car analogy I made, you're insisting the equivalent of "well the engine can still technically produce horsepower even if you take the wheels off and the car can't go anywhere, so it still counts because the engine is the only thing that matters in the discussion!"

Nah, not really.

This is a different subject .

No it's not. Just because you decided in your own head what kind of "harmonics" are being discussed here doesn't mean you're right. You have no idea what the OP meant by the question, or to what the OP was specifically referring when they used the term. This is a discussion to try and figure that out AND teach the OP about harmonics.

Feel free to keep advertising how "open minded and reasonable" you are though, you know, so people will know how to treat all your posts moving forward.

Last edited:
Hahaha ok fella.

nqUXEOv.gif

Take a guitar and play it through a Fender Twin. You'll hear a ton of fundamental notes, but minimal harmonics.
Take that same guitar and play it through a Peavey 5150's gained up lead channel. You'll hear an almost even balance fundamental notes and harmonics.

Yes both instruments will literally produce the same harmonics at their source, but you'll hear more of them through the 5150 rig due to the compression and distortion.

To continue the completely valid car analogy I made, you're insisting the equivalent of "well the engine can still technically produce horsepower even if you take the wheels off and the car can't go anywhere, so it still counts because the engine is the only thing that matters in the discussion!"

Nah, not really.

No it's not. Just because you decided in your own head what kind of "harmonics" are being discussed here doesn't mean you're right. You have no idea what the OP meant by the question, or to what the OP was specifically referring when they used the term. This is a discussion to try and figure that out AND teach the OP about harmonics.

Feel free to keep advertising "how open minded and reasonable" you are though, you know, so people will know how to treat all your posts moving forward.
Next goal-post shift from Eagle: "Increasing strength of harmonic vibrations on a string relative to fundamental by placing the guitar in front of a loud distorted amp, thus creating a feedback loop, also doesn't count as "more harmonics" either.

I can't believe there are 13 people that think you can amplify something that isn't there. Which would be the case if it didn't come from the instrument.

What about adding?

I can easily add 8KHz, 10KHz, 12KHz and up to a guitar track in my mix, for example - to give it air. And it is definitely audible.

...even though a given Celestion speaker's freq response (say Greenback) lo pass starts at 3.3KHz and plummets from there.

Alternatively, here's a Celestion Greenback's freq response (from Celestion's website):

T1221-G12M-Greenback-copy.jpg

As you can see, there is existing (something that is there) audio information from 20Hz all the way to 20KHz - if you were to amplify things (that side of the coin).

• 100%
Reactions: PLX
To simply state (and add): A typical tube amp will add 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to what goes in, at the very least.

What about adding?

I can easily add 8KHz, 10KHz, 12KHz and up to a guitar track in my mix, for example - to give it air. And it is definitely audible.

...even though a given Celestion speaker's freq response (say Greenback) lo pass starts at 3.3KHz and plummets from there.

Alternatively, here's a Celestion Greenback's freq response (from Celestion's website):

T1221-G12M-Greenback-copy.jpg

As you can see, there is existing (something that is there) audio information from 20Hz all the way to 20KHz - if you were to amplify things (that side of the coin).
You’re not adding , it’s just boosting what is already happening.

Back