Went amp shopping today

Jarick

Shredder
And didn’t buy anything lol

Was thinking about picking up an Orange Super Crush combo as it doubles as a pedal baby and 1x12 for modeler purposes. There’s used one at a local shop.

Before I played it, I found a mint Peavey Classic Mini 20w head for only $350, the newer one with cab sim and switchable power and everything. Closest cab was an Orange 4x12 so they hooked that up for me.

Holy crap that 4x12 sounded awesome! Even at low volumes. Really balanced, not the mid focus I think of with Orange. The clean tone of the Peavey was really great and volume was manageable. But the dirty tone wasn’t good, way too much gain and kind of brittle sounding.

Then played the Orange Super Crush 100 combo and it’s not bad but wasn’t as good as the Peavey with the 4x12. Amp gain was more versatile and it had good dynamics, but I couldn’t get the other sound out of my head.

Now I’m thinking I may have to get an Orange 2x12. Not sure about amps, I have so many modelers and was kicking around something like a Pedal Baby.

And didn’t buy anything lol

Was thinking about picking up an Orange Super Crush combo as it doubles as a pedal baby and 1x12 for modeler purposes. There’s used one at a local shop.

Before I played it, I found a mint Peavey Classic Mini 20w head for only $350, the newer one with cab sim and switchable power and everything. Closest cab was an Orange 4x12 so they hooked that up for me.

Holy crap that 4x12 sounded awesome! Even at low volumes. Really balanced, not the mid focus I think of with Orange. The clean tone of the Peavey was really great and volume was manageable. But the dirty tone wasn’t good, way too much gain and kind of brittle sounding.

Then played the Orange Super Crush 100 combo and it’s not bad but wasn’t as good as the Peavey with the 4x12. Amp gain was more versatile and it had good dynamics, but I couldn’t get the other sound out of my head.

Now I’m thinking I may have to get an Orange 2x12. Not sure about amps, I have so many modelers and was kicking around something like a Pedal Baby.
The Orange CR 120 head is surprisingly good...especially through a 4x12. And, yeah, 4x12s are fantastic. Even at low volume.

Sassy Told You GIF by EsZ  Giphy World

I stopped amp shopping years ago.
I radically accepted that no matter what I buy up in there, I’ll likely not have the dopamine receptor’s elevated so much later at home.
More then likely it will either get returned or posted fs.
Which defeats all glory in the end due to time & money on the backside and now I’m ‘back’ in the equation of that amp shopping mania moment.
For me, it was wiser to hang onto the money
for the super’killer’s or exercise patience &
bank that money.
But do yo’ thang!, we gotta spend it somehow on something at somepoint.

I took him to mean in place of the Orange Pedal Baby small pedal board amp.

The combo would essentially act as the amp and he could run his modeler through it instead of an amp and standalone cab.

Is this another term for pedal platform?

It’s a solid state power amp that a lot of people really like for modelers.

I’ll be honest I have been super annoyed with guitar tone at home. Everything sounds like ass. With studio monitors it’s chasing the right IR and fighting fizzy boomy tones. With the guitar amp and speaker (Katana Artist) it seems better, but still fighting harshness or excess bass.

That’s why I’m intrigued with a good quality cabinet and a good power amp. While the Katana Artist in theory has a really solid class AB amp and an expensive high watt greenback speaker that’s well regarded, I still fight it at times.

I can’t get much volume at home and I have high end modelers, so it seems like a high quality cab and power amp would be a good idea. I like the idea of having tone controls too. Most people with experience seem to really like the tone of modelers vs amps.

But I also think about just having a plug and play amp. When I plug into some decent amps, especially tube amps, they often sound quite good. Just not sure what I’m after. I love a clean Fender sound if it has some sag and compression but getting that at low volumes may be tricky. Then the gain channel is kind of a question mark. A lot of amps are too fizzy with gain.

So then I get into the swirl of not knowing what to do, outside of thinking about a lot of good insight from people here. I typically am guilty of getting cheap on speakers, going solid state combos. Thats why I’m thinking maybe go the opposite direction, get a dedicated power amp and a quality speaker cabinet and there shouldn’t be excuses right?

For now I’m trying to fix my room up more sonically. It’s getting better with room EQ and treatment should help. But I’m probably going to want to either get a tube amp and good speaker that I can run with my modelers for effects, or good speakers and a quality power amp to try and maximize that route.

My key to a good sound at home: modeler into returns of 2 combos, small mixer in between to balance them.
Stereo does a lot

One decent sized cab + a 1x10 does trick.
Doesn’t have to be stuff that breaks the bank…Laney, egnater, fender bassbreaker…stuff like thät ;)

Got a line on an Orange 1x12 cab with V30, so think I’ll pick that up and go from there.

You didnt buy anything? I iz disappointed…. I will cry in my safe space….

You didnt buy anything? I iz disappointed…. I will cry in my safe space….

I bought an Orange 1x12 today :)

Mint PPC112 for $300. Speaker and cab is the most important part of the tone right? I loved the big Orange cab so figured I’d try the small one first.

Only played for a couple minutes but I think it may do the trick. The bass is tighter which solves one problem and the high end is smoother. The Waza speaker was often kinda harsh.

Will plug in my modeler through the Katana power amp and see how it goes later today. But now I’m off to build some more acoustic panels.

Running the Axe FX 3 Rockerverb 50 model just to see how this particular version sounds. The cleans are amazing with the gain turned down, and then with the gain turned up it sounds great too. That's not helping things.

Played the Rocker 15 today and it’s a nice amp. Looks mint comes with the bag and everything. Great clean tone, good edge of breakup, then gets fizzy with the gain up at low volumes. So trying to think if $500 for a tube amp that does one great cleanish tone would be worthwhile. On paper everything seems like a great idea though.

Back