Video Games

1) I believe it is a call back to old school Metroid and Castlevania games where death is a little more punishing and you aren't really told what to do or where to explore, it's up to you

2) idk what a PD-wtfevers is šŸ¤£

You can play it on the switch which I feel like is the most likely fill in for said PD-wtfevers
2. PS-wtfever (4 and 5 I think currently in house) :rofl

I love commenting before reading :hmm :ROFLMAO:

1. What's Metroidvania (other than a verbal mashup of Metroid and Castlevania which I actually loved back in the day?"
2. Can I play this game on one of my kid's PD-wtfevers?

They're usually games that slowly unlock their map through exploration and finding new power-ups, like double jump, that allow you reach previously unreachable places.

Available on PS5, and currently "free" (paid for) if you have a PS+ Extra or Premium subscription?
He has essentials so it's $22.95 iirc? The trailer posted on it is pretty damm low res looking? I know that's the point but it might do good to have a remaster/upscale?

1. What's Metroidvania (other than a verbal mashup of Metroid and Castlevania which I actually loved back in the day?"
It's exactly that. Metroid is known for its non-linear level design where you can explore all around, you open up new areas by finding skill/tool upgrades and so on. Castlevania is in many ways similar, so put the two together and you get "something resembling Metroid or Castlevania in how the game plays."

No, it has to look like shit to get the indie cred and score 5/5 on Eurogamer. ;)
dance party snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Check out this new Metroidvania. It's free on PS Plus Extra if you have it. Currently 10/10 on Steam. Go in as blind as possible.

Oh I saw that advertised for the Switch. I may have to pick it up!

I love Metroidvania's. It's more a matter of EG having a bias toward (nostalgia for?) indie/ pixel art/ retro games, and consistently going overboard with praise when the games themselves are (sometimes) meh.

Totally agree. I didn't know what a Metroidvania was until I played Ori. I think it may be my favorite genre of game, along with action RPG's or blends of the two. After Ori, everyone said I had to play Hollow Knight next and that may be a top five game all time for me now.

I barely even played Metroid or Castlevania on the NES. I loved Super Metroid when it first came out and when I started playing that again several years back it got me into speed running.

Speaking of speed running, I'm planning to take my kid to the Games Done Quick that is held here in Minnesota every summer. Should be fun!

I put in a lot of time in Zelda: BOTW and got a little bored. I don't like the combat much so was focused on finding shrines and upgrading armor. Then kind of hit a wall as I'm not powerful enough to go to the main castle yet and was getting a bit bored.

Tried several different "cozy games" to try and get something with the Stardew Valley vibe, and the closest thing I found was Graveyard Keeper. It's clearly trying to be like Stardew, and I sank a LOT of time into it over the last couple weeks. But this game is a complete grind fest with no reward or story progression. Any time you do complete a "quest", the NPC immediately tells you to do another one, which requires tons more grinding. And the game has no documentation or explanation, so you have to Google everything.

At this point I'm ready to fire up another round of Stardew lol

Have you played Roots of Pacha? That seems like a popular similar game.

I don't want anything that's a complete knockoff, I just want that same wonderful dopamine stream.

I've never played Stardew Valley myself but I understand it to be inspired by Harvest Moon?

The original Harvest Moon on SNES was a great game; maybe give that a shot if you never have

I've never played Stardew Valley myself but I understand it to be inspired by Harvest Moon?

The original Harvest Moon on SNES was a great game; maybe give that a shot if you never have

Yeah definitely inspired by, and kind of an homage to it.

Started Valley is great. I don't even like those types of games usually. I must download it again with the new patch.

Back