Reaper 7 is out

Desertdweller

Roadie
I've used Reaper consistently since about 2009 and it's just fantastic. Simple to learn, difficult to master, everything I've ever needed in a DAW, and they only ask for money every 6-8 years. So this was an easy repurchase for me. But I will say the changes seem a little more esoteric this time as opposed to wholesale changes, so I'm not seeing any difference in my use of the program right now. But maybe you will.

Here's a guide to what's new: https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

Download link: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

I think the license is good for 2 versions.

I bought my license under v5, so I'll have to pay to update to 7... worth it.

Reactions: PLX

This is a good video on some of the simpler QOL updates to Reaper 7. All of these are actually quite useful, especially the way you can organize and put together takes now so quickly, which would work amazingly well for vocals.

Reactions: PLX
Well... just evaluate... 😅

But now this time I'll buy a license. The guys of Cockos work hard (IMO) and they deserve any love (and money) for being bros and doing that "licensing" method and that price.

But now this time I'll buy a license. The guys of Cockos work hard (IMO) and they deserve any love (and money) for being bros and doing that "licensing" method and that price.
I've used Reaper for over a decade. Bought 3 licenses in that time, and it had to be my most used app ever, next to a browser. The bang you get for the buck is amazing and their support is Fractal-quality.

Here's the two themes I use the most and they're just fantastic:

Inquasar Dark Matter, and Dark Side Imperial

reaper1.jpg
reaper2.jpg

I've been using the Reapertips theme, which is based on an older Smooth 6 V3 theme.

Comping using Lanes is a big improvement for me. Haven’t done a recording session yet but record in free lanes looks to be a big improvement over adding new takes to the bottom each time.

Had to buy a new license, but checked and the last $60 was in 2017!

They changed their policy on that anyways. It's a 60 day eval now.

Next version (and already in the prerelease alpha section of the forum) are some MAJOR changes to the way Dynamic Split adds stretch markers. Which will make a ridiculously huge time savings when editing grouped drum tracks. Me and Justin are working on fine tuning it, but its pretty much there

So now, if you group all your drums and say use the kick track for the guide, and chose "add stretch markers to selected items and grouped items" it will add the stretch to each kick transient and add that marker to every other grouped item as well as it did before BUT now: If you need to also add stretches at each snare hit for instance, when you run it again, it will add to the snare without removing the kick markers on the snare track and will add the snare markers to all grouped tracks.

Previously it would remove the kick's markers. If you still want that behaviour a new command has been added "REPLACE stretch markers to selected item and grouped items"

Next version (and already in the prerelease alpha section of the forum) are some MAJOR changes to the way Dynamic Split adds stretch markers. Which will make a ridiculously huge time savings when editing grouped drum tracks. Me and Justin are working on fine tuning it, but its pretty much there

So now, if you group all your drums and say use the kick track for the guide, and chose "add stretch markers to selected items and grouped items" it will add the stretch to each kick transient and add that marker to every other grouped item as well as it did before BUT now: If you need to also add stretches at each snare hit for instance, when you run it again, it will add to the snare without removing the kick markers on the snare track and will add the snare markers to all grouped tracks.

Previously it would remove the kick's markers. If you still want that behaviour a new command has been added "REPLACE stretch markers to selected item and grouped items"
Help me understand the use case. Why would having markers for each drum hit be important? What is a stretch marker? Generally with drums I am just isolating/gating the tom, snare, and bass drum tracks for bleed and then compressing/EQing from there. Any editing would be to bring in a better fill from a second take, but how would what you listed above help me?

When you are dealing with modern metal bands with 256th note ambitions and 1/4 note abilities, you need to pretty much change the timing of every single drum hit. You can do by splitting and moving or by stretching. Stretching is getting less and less goofy sounding, and especially with some of the transient guard scripts available for reaper, stretching to edit has been viable to my ears for years now. I often do drum editing videos so you can see the pain and watch the paint dry

Back