NAD: Ceriatone Chupacabra 50w (pink & blue)

2dor

Roadie
After having received my King Kong 100W last year in November, I quickly realized that I wanted a Chupacabra too.

Fast-forward a bit and this "wolf in sheep's clothing" made it to my door.
This has a custom shorter and not as tall headshell as well as a buffered loop.

Shipped on Wednesday from Malaysia and made it to Romania on Friday; released from customs this morning and delivered by the fine folks at FedEx without delay.

My "tech"'s installing tubes and doing a bias on it atm.

Will post more pics, sound samples and impressions once she's fired up.

Attachments

• Clipped_image_20240219_114810.png
    Clipped_image_20240219_114810.png
    674.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
First impressions don't look good to be honest.

I ordered their buffered loop and it's doesn't seem to be there (my KK100 has a Return level control on the back panel).

Other thing that's bugging me (a LOT) is that during the build me and Nik exchanged some messages and he was troubleshooting some hum issues with the amp - said he wasn't sure what the culprit is and he suggested adding another filtering cap.

I respectfully declined and suggested they take more time with the build so that it turns out right instead.

Today, much to my surprise, when I take the back off to get tubes in, I see an extra cap in there which pisses me off tremendously as I feel I've been handed a build with a fucked up Power Trannie which got an extra cap in there to sweep things under the rug.

1708337767027.png

Last edited:
ouch!

I always wanted a chupacabra I guess I want it a bit less now.

Are you sending it back?

ouch!

I always wanted a chupacabra I guess I want it a bit less now.

Are you sending it back?
Not sure what to do yet; I reported it now and I've received a reply saying that I wasn't billed for the active loop (even though it was in my initial inquiry to be included) but they wired it in but without the Return control on the outside.

That thing with the filtering cap though - don't feel too good about that....at all.

Just got a reply saying they added that one in to separate filtering between the PI and cathode follower which should make it better for noise purposes as well as tightness (just slightly).

Congrats! Glad to hear your initial worries with the build turned out to be non-issues.

Still waiting on my KK50. The seller is away on travel, but his amp tech is supposed to be shipping it out this morning via overnight service. If all goes well I'll have it tomorrow.

Congrats! Glad to hear your initial worries with the build turned out to be non-issues.

Still waiting on my KK50. The seller is away on travel, but his amp tech is supposed to be shipping it out this morning via overnight service. If all goes well I'll have it tomorrow.
Thanks buddy. Yes, Nik is a great guy - once again proven.

The amp can get very aggressive and the noise is stupidly low given the gainiac character.

Some more extreme settings:

1708343324359.jpeg

Noise floor is at -57.9 dB in Reaper which is silly given the clipping, Presence and Bright switches.

Need to test the loop next. So far, I like the tones coming out of the Chupa over the King Kong. They're not one better than the other.

The King Kong is more "fat" / heavy, while the Chupa is more aggressive

Just ran my Synergy SYN-1 with the Salvation Audio Camerock module through the loop.

Loop sounds amazing, no noise or tone suck at all.

All in all, great build and just a case of communication issues. Would have probably not freaked out about the extra cap if that conversation would have been lengthier.

Last edited:
Back