Interesting rigs from a metal show last night

Jarick

Shredder
Saw a metal show last night (He Is Legend on their 20th anniversary tour) in a small-ish venue, probably 150-200 people there. Was interesting to see the various rigs and setups the bands used.

Opening band (The Seafloor Cinema) had two guitarists. Interesting enough, they didn't have a bassist on stage, and were running bass and other tracks from Logic. First guitarist was using a Quad Cortex into a small Bad Cat combo amp, which was probably just for stage volume considering there was no mic on it? Second guitarist was running into an HX Effects then into a Victory amp (probably miked up).

Second band (Codeseven) had two guitarists, again with no bassist on stage, and appeared to be running bass and other tracks from an iPad. Both guitarists were using Axe FX 3 with FC-12's, although both of them had the FC-12's up on top of their "amps" (which appeared to be something like Fender FR-12's).

Headliner (He Is Legend) was more traditional. Both guitarists were running Mesa Dual Recs (actually both had two heads) with big pedalboards out front. They definitely had the best live sound, but hard to say if that's gear related or that they were the headliner and had a better mix. Oh yeah, they had a real bassist too (who was awesome).

Nice!! Haven't listened to that band in a while

Bands need to stop being out here without bass players or drummers. Rhythm section is not replaceable with tracks
Drama Club No GIF by Nickelodeon

It's just so much easier to break down and pack in the van. I see why people are doing it. You lose a little tonewise, but gain a lot when it comes to travel.

you kinda get into quasi karaoke territory when you pipe in an instrument that isn't there

we played without a bassist on friday bc we got asked to play the show last minute and our bassist couldn't make it. so I played with 2 4x12s, one on each side of drums. added a little bass to my eq and kept the bass contour knob on my guitar up all night. people said it sounded great. someone from the local college station was there and after our set asked us to play live in their studio for their metal show which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Headliner (He Is Legend) was more traditional. Both guitarists were running Mesa Dual Recs (actually both had two heads) with big pedalboards out front.

It was at this point I knew they were gonna be awesome.

Excited Fandom GIF

Back