Fryette Cyclops switcher for Power Station

Seems like a weirdly niche tool. From what I understand, it's basically a complicated A/B box where it switches between "your guitar into amp front input or preamp/modeler".

You could do all this with any modeler that has enough inputs and outputs.

I'm guessing this manages to avoid some ground loop issues at least.

Seems like a weirdly niche tool. From what I understand, it's basically a complicated A/B box where it switches between "your guitar into amp front input or preamp/modeler".

You could do all this with any modeler that has enough inputs and outputs.

I'm guessing this manages to avoid some ground loop issues at least.
Yeah, it basically switches a Power Station between a loaded anp head and an unloaded preamp. Not sure how a Fractal or a Helix could accomplish this.

Seems like a great complement to a Power Station.

Yeah, it basically switches a Power Station between a loaded anp head and an unloaded preamp. Not sure how a Fractal or a Helix could accomplish this.

Seems like a great complement to a Power Station.
Something like this on say an Axe-Fx 3:
  • Guitar -> modeler guitar input
  • Preset with routing between two paths with scenes to switch between the two.
    • Guitar -> Out 3 (mono, instrument level)
    • Guitar -> Amp sim -> Out 1 (mono, line level)
  • Out 3 -> Tube amp front input
  • Out 1 -> Power Station line in
  • Tube amp speaker out -> PS amp in
  • PS speaker out -> real guitar cab
So about as complicated as using the Cyclops. Just doesn't cost anything.

Something like this on say an Axe-Fx 3:
  • Guitar -> modeler guitar input
  • Preset with routing between two paths with scenes to switch between the two.
    • Guitar -> Out 3 (mono, instrument level)
    • Guitar -> Amp sim -> Out 1 (mono, line level)
  • Out 3 -> Tube amp front input
  • Out 1 -> Power Station line in
  • Tube amp speaker out -> PS amp in
  • PS speaker out -> real guitar cab
So about as complicated as using the Cyclops. Just doesn't cost anything.
Yes, that works if you don't mind converting everything to digital at the front of the signal chain.

I like to keep everything analog up front with digital stuff in the loop.

:beer

Yes, that works if you don't mind converting everything to digital at the front of the signal chain.

I like to keep everything analog up front with digital stuff in the loop.

If you can hear the difference you have better ears than I do. IMO digital conversion is a total nonissue these days.

If I enable all the digital Strymon pedals before my amp input on my pedalboard, my signal goes through 6 A/D/A conversions for 3 digital pedals before hitting the amp input. You can add 4 more conversions for the digital pedals in the fx loop. Still a total non-issue.

Buffers are far more relevant than worrying about A/D/A conversion.

Wouldn't A/D & D/A conversions be considered buffers within the signal chain?
The point was that you will hear a bigger difference between having an input buffer on a multiple true bypass pedal board vs having A/D/A conversions in the signal.

An A/D & D/A conversation would be two input buffers on my true bypass pedalboard, hence my earlier stated preference of all analog before the amp. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You do you, and I'll do what works for me.

Wishing for an eye roll emoji right now.
tenor-2423902840.gif

If you watch the recent episode of Tone Talk with Steve Fryette he explains how they came up with the Cyclops. It was a response to customer questions and perceived demand. I agree that it is a very niche product given that it only has one very specific application. I doubt they will sell very many. That said, if you happen to be someone who wants to switch between a loaded down head and a preamp with your power station, this is exactly what you want.

It's cool but I can't imagine there are a whole lot of people out there who were screaming for a solution like this (I could also be wrong)

Either way it's not compatible with my original Powerstation lol

Yeah I would imagine a decent amount the Fryette user base racks and has some more varied setups where this might be useful.

Back