Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

I love the look of these. But more importantly, since they didn't change the model number when they introduced the noise fix, finding one of these will be the only way to know you're getting the new preamp design. Hopefully. :idk
Well considering that just about everybody has been out of stock on the FR12, and Fender has corrected the issue in manufacturing/assembly line, presumably all new stock coming into the stores that were out of stock should all have the fix. But if you did get one with the dreaded hiss you could always call Fender and more than likely I would think they would exchange it. Or there is always the Archangel V2 preamp if you are able to get on the wait list! :rawk

Last edited:
...Fender has corrected the issue in manufacturing/assembly line, presumably all new stock coming into the stores that were out of stock should all have the fix.
Sadly, this is not the case.

There is no date after which all units had the upgraded chips. Some had them, most did not. Recent units purchased directly from Fender still have the hiss.

Fender has not corrected the issue.

Sadly, this is not the case.

There is no date after which all units had the upgraded chips. Some had them, most did not. Recent units purchased directly from Fender still have the hiss.

Fender has not corrected the issue.
Well, maybe Fender will pipe in and comment on this so we all have an idea, as I can't imagine them still putting out FR10s and FR12s with a hiss issue. I know that there has to be some older stock out there in inventory that might have the issue, and I know I got lucky and mine didn't have it, but can't imagine the new production runs not being corrected. But hey I could be wrong. I don't work there.

Well, maybe Fender will pipe in and comment on this so we all have an idea, as I can't imagine them still putting out FR10s and FR12s with a hiss issue. I know that there has to be some older stock out there in inventory that might have the issue, and I know I got lucky and mine didn't have it, but can't imagine the new production runs not being corrected. But hey I could be wrong. I don't work there.
Is there a Fender rep on TGF? If it helps incentivize their commenting, I’ll say there’s no way I’m going to buy an FR12 until there’s some way of knowing what I’m getting. (OK, I realize that’s one unit lol, but I can’t be the only one who feels this way.)

Fender has not acknowledged that there is a problem, had made no statements saying it was or will be addressed, and again, most new stock, directly from Fender has the original chips that produce the hiss.

There were some random ones that had upgraded chips but there's no way of telling which ones have them without taking the preamp out and inspecting it and no reason was given why some had the better chips but most did not and still do not.
Is there a Fender rep on TGF? If it helps incentivize their commenting, I’ll say there’s no way I’m going to buy an FR12 until there’s some way of knowing what I’m getting. (OK, I realize that’s one unit lol, but I can’t be the only one who feels this way.)
It's not expensive to replace the chips or you can replace the entire board for $150 with one that's much better; no hiss, better tone, and better EQ. I still think it's a bargain at $650 for a FR with the upgraded preamp that requires no soldering to install.

Last edited:
Fender doesn't need to worry about the hiss, people are constantly buying them because it's Fender...Most are claiming AmpInTheRoom for the first time, etc. Maybe it's the hiss that's giving the AmpInTheRoom perception? :idk :idea:idk

Have a good one,

3EO

Last edited:
Well, maybe Fender will pipe in and comment on this so we all have an idea, as I can't imagine them still putting out FR10s and FR12s with a hiss issue. I know that there has to be some older stock out there in inventory that might have the issue, and I know I got lucky and mine didn't have it, but can't imagine the new production runs not being corrected.

The original and "fixed" preamp boards share the exact same revision number and, as far as i know, have no distinguishing features other than the ICs soldered on them. Odds are they all go into the same pile.

Not that i think it's likely but, yes, it's entirely possible they're still shipping amps without the hiss mod. In any case, there's plenty stock of the bad version going around; i've read multiple (recent) reports of people buying FR-10/12's directly from Fender and having to send them back for a replacement.

It's not expensive to replace the chips or you can replace the entire board for $150 with one that's much better; no hiss, better tone, and better EQ. I still think it's a bargain at $650 for a FR with the upgraded preamp that requires no soldering to install.
Yeah, I can appreciate that, but it's still $$$+time (my time) instead of equal parts $$$. And, for me, it would be all too likely to wind up in my "fix that eventually" pile.

Fender doesn't need to worry about the hiss, people are constantly buying them because it's Fender...Most are claiming Amp where I'm at for the first time, etc. Maybe it's the hiss that's giving the Amp where I'm at perception? :idk :idea:idk
Is AWIA the new A.I.T.R.? :D (I see it is - "spellchecker" got me LOL.) Anyway, yeah, I get that most people won't know/ care. Strictly speaking for myself above. Fender is in a good position to fix this problem during manufacture, and/or distinguish between variations somehow. Until then, I can wait.

Fender is in a good position to fix this problem during manufacture, and/or distinguish between variations somehow. Until then, I can wait.

That's completely understandable. Why buy a product with a known problem that may have to be fixed? Mine has some hiss but it's not really noticeable unless you're aware of the problem and are listening for it. I doubt mine has the upgraded chips.

For most of us who did get one, having an amplification solution for modelers that looks and sounds like a conventional amp all for $500, or $650 max if it needs a preamp upgrade, is well worth it.

As I understand it, the preamp swap is a piece of cake that only takes minutes and requires no soldering so I think most who go that route will be willing to knock it off immediately instead of putting it off until later.

Still, I understand not wanting to deal with it at all and just want to buy something that works properly out of the box.

It's unfortunate that some of the FR monitors don't have the hiss problem, some do, and there's no way of knowing which yours will be until you get your hands on it. For those who are thinking "Why bother with this?" there are many other options out there, but know that many of us really like it and think it's well worth considering even if a hiss fix is in order.

Regarding Fender fixing "...this problem during manufacture, and/or distinguish between variations somehow" I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hissgate is generally "I run tests with an oscilloscope at whisper volumes 97x more than I actually play guitar" problem. And NO ONE at Fender is going to say anything about it publicly I am betting. It is absolutely not perfect but all things considered; it works quite well.

Back