2010-2011 EVH Wolfgang Special MIJ vs. current MIM?

CBHScott

Roadie
Back in the day (2012 ?), a GC I happened into was blowing out MIJ EVH Wolfgang Specials (flat-top & SS frets) for $799. They had 5 on display. I grabbed a vintage white one.

Guitar was great, but at the time I kinda overstepped my financial boundaries, and ended up returning it (dumb, dumb, dumb…).

Nowadays, being in much better financial waters, I always am thinking about picking one up just because. Any of you Wolfgang Special know-it-alls that have played or have both models have an opinion on which one is better?

I love the Wolfgang but I will never ever touch another product that comes out of that Feder factory in Mexico
You are just wrong about that. Cherry pick one and they are some of the best value instruments you can buy.

You are just wrong about that. Cherry pick one and they are some of the best value instruments you can buy.
I spent a good hour cherry picking though the inventory of MIM Fender and Charvels at my local dealer. They were all duds and most were over 8 lbs. and had major fret sprout.

My Roadworn Strat will be the last MIM I ever own.

Aren't the Charvels (So Cal/San Dimas) MIM as well? I've played quite a few good ones.

I am definitely kicking myself for not buying a MIJ when I saw them, years back.

Just play any budget guitar before you buy it because the lower the price the more gets passed. Charvel,EVH,Fender MIM have the best electronic parts and hardware at the price by a very long way.
In some cases over half the retail price is in branded third party quality parts.

As did i with Both the DK 22 and the DK24
Do you have any pictures of your problems? I don’t doubt your experience at all but I am interested. Most of the issues I see on these are incredibly minor and fixable 100%

Do you have any pictures of your problems? I don’t doubt your experience at all but I am interested. Most of the issues I see on these are incredibly minor and fixable 100%
Hello Andy , no Pictures as they are sold, but it was Neck and Fret sprout issues, and Trem Stability
For sure someone as good as you are you'd be able to fix them, But Unfortunately in my neck of the woods we dont have an Andy :)

Cheers
Mike

Hello Andy , no Pictures as they are sold, but it was Neck and Fret sprout issues, and Trem Stability
For sure someone as good as you are you'd be able to fix them, But Unfortunately in my neck of the woods we dont have an Andy :)

Cheers
Mike
Thanks for the kind words. I do get quite a few with fret sprout issues. Trem stability can also be an issue with string trees. I really don’t understand why they don’t have staggered tuners and no trees. It’s a shame because the raw materials and specs on these are second to none in the price range. Better materials/ specs than stuff over twice the price.

Thanks for the kind words. I do get quite a few with fret sprout issues. Trem stability can also be an issue with string trees. I really don’t understand why they don’t have staggered tuners and no trees. It’s a shame because the raw materials and specs on these are second to none in the price range. Better materials/ specs than stuff over twice the price.
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure its all due to poor QC and Workmanship
I doubt the Workers there have your passion or ethics
OTH my Ibanez made In Malaysia was fantastic QC the only thing they missed was sanding the Nut slightly at the edges but it was really well cut since i have no tuning stability issues there is no fret sprouts whatsoever, they do sport locking staggered tuners and all Gotoh hardware has a gig bag all for about the same price as the DK 24 In CDN funds

Last edited:
Back