2 piece guitar strap - am I doing this right?

Achilles

Rock Star
?????

20240515_084557.jpg

20240515_084619.png

Used one piece 1-3/4" wide straps for 52 years. Didn't matter the guitar or weight. Just recently started getting a bit painful so switched to 2-1/2".

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! So much more comfy but holy shit are the things a PIA in regard to adjustments.

You just figure out what gets it the right length and thread it . There’s no right , looks fine.

I do this loop thing several times a day, can probably do it blindfolded now LOL!
What I do is loop through the tail strap right after it returns through the ladder.

Your way isn't wrong but I predict over time it's going to create a bend and crease in the strap after the first loop you went through, because you skipped a couple holes, so it's not a full straight pull through the ladder. However, since you are going through so many levels in the ladder, this will be minimized. Worst case is, you skip a whole bunch of steps, the bendy effect would be exaggerated.

If you think moving from 2" to 2.5 is good, you will LOVE moving from 2.5"-3 I'll bet!

Hold on, because you did this on the top loop, I understand now you are using the "cinch" method. Makes your tail strap a bit shorter than the natural minimum length. I see there are two strap button holes in your tail strap, you have chosen the lower / longest hole, probably for aestetic reasons, rather than the upper for shorter length, with extra hanging loose.

You figured out a little-known trick to make a tail strap a bit shorter than the manufacturer intended, so good on you!

Doing what I advised, would possibly take your strap out of your comfort zone.

If you choose to chop off, keep an extra inch and a half, in case the first hole wears out and you have to make another. Plus a bit of extra is nice to grab onto. Good box cutter and a straight edge. Your local upholstery guy will probably sew the end closed no charge, recommended.

in case the first hole wears out and you have to make another.

The first hole will easily outlive me. :LOL: Thanks again for your help.

Strap is more comfortable now because the keyhole in the tail is further down so I can't feel it at all on my waist/hip.

Back