what ever happened to vox? modeling wise...i mean its sad they just fizzled out

used to buy lot of Vox modeling stuff, Tonelab, AD series, VTX..... and sadly my last purchase was Vox Adio - case closed :wat.

Dunno Vox to me is now only mean AC15, AC30.. nothing more. and I don't really use wah pedals much. And everyone always nagging about their amps are really hard to model. LOL

I had some good times at a buddy's house with his SG through one of those black VTX amps. I came over one day and both had been stolen..

The 2x12 Valvetronix amps were pretty great. Played dozens and dozens of shows with them (tribute act, amps provided by the production company). They didn't provide many amps but the ones they had were absolutely decent. I think I only ever used the Fender-ish cleans and UK-something Marshall-ish drive amps, but that's been fine with me. Not suitable for modern metal, but pretty much all classic amp sounds were doable with really good quality, some of them might hold up even today.
I remember the pedalboard to be pretty bad. Only 4 sounds per bank was bad (and there was plenty of space wasted on the big foot controller versions).
Also, editing was the usual thing, non-endless pots with parameter jumps. But: zero menu diving, which is a plus.
FX defenitely workable but extremely basic.
All in all, I could possibly still play each and every gig with one of those, but outside of that super-controlled tribute show environment (always the same tech stuff, very similar venues, IEM, etc.), quite some things might annoy me too much.

remember the pedalboard to be pretty bad. Only 4 sounds per bank was bad (and there was plenty of space wasted on the big foot controller versions).
I gigged with a tonelab SE (the blue one with 2 expression pedals) for quite some time. I remember it to be more than pretty good. On the SE you could use the A/B switch which gave you 8 patches per bank. It was the perfect size for me to do everything I wanted. I've always said it was the first modeler to make me forget I was not playing through a tube amp. The valve reactor circuit was a virtual output transformer with a dummy speaker.

The poweramp/speaker interaction was excellent and way ahead of its time. I wish I had never sold it. After a few years the later models were "dumbed down" and abandoned the valve reactor circuit. Bonehead move.

Why Vox Why? :wat:poop:

I gigged with a tonelab SE (the blue one with 2 expression pedals) for quite some time. I remember it to be more than pretty good.

Yeah, the Tonelab pedals were fine. The floor controllers for their amps weren't. Built like a tank but with way too many switches for that size and a pretty weak CAT5 connection (not even the kinda XLR alike sleeves helped much).

I also gigged the Tonelab SE a ton, and it lasted me 14 years. I could tell Vox wasn’t taking the line seriously so I moved onto Line 6. When people say the Helix is getting old, I feel like it’s only halfway through its lifespan.

Back