What are we watching now?

But I do love how he did create a backstory for the guys who were thrown together in their circumstance. That was a huge thing that I thought The Wages of Fear was missing. But I'm sure it could be argued the other way too. Friedkin, from everything I've read and seen, seems like he was just a d******d, just a terrible person. But he really did have some incredible films, (The Exorcist, To Live and Die in LA), so I always hold out hope that something made by him will at least be interesting. I know a lot of people like The French Connection too, but that one just never hit me, even though it has maybe the most famous chase scene in film history! I still think the chase scene in To Live and Die in LA is the best one I've ever seen. Again, just sheer brutality.
I finished it up late last night. Brutal indeed. Those bridge scenes are tense af! It was definitely as I remembered it and watching on a valid stream vs. , um; an alternate source really didn't do much for the first 20 minutes of all non-English dialog :unsure: :ROFLMAO: Roy Scheider was great (and everytime I see him; I can see decades of packs of smoked cigarettes as his skin looks like a goddamn catcher's mitt) but the rest of his crew's performances were probably the worst of the film. I liked his backstory but their acting/delivery was very dated. I think the ending was a nice touch showing he had to suffer through all that only to come full circle :oops:

Criterion looks very cool. Kind of a boiled down Kanopy where they know they can only go so far into artsy territory with my "sometimes I need something grimy and/or dumb" film tastes.

I finished it up late last night. Brutal indeed. Those bridge scenes are tense af! It was definitely as I remembered it and watching on a valid stream vs. , um; an alternate source really didn't do much for the first 20 minutes of all non-English dialog :unsure: :ROFLMAO: Roy Scheider was great (and everytime I see him; I can see decades of packs of smoked cigarettes as his skin looks like a goddamn catcher's mitt) but the rest of his crew's performances were probably the worst of the film. I liked his backstory but their acting/delivery was very dated. I think the ending was a nice touch showing he had to suffer through all that only to come full circle :oops:

Criterion looks very cool. Kind of a boiled down Kanopy where they know they can only go so far into artsy territory with my "sometimes I need something grimy and/or dumb" film tastes.

Haha! Scheider is a weird case. I totally love him, but I can't tell if maybe he became a bad actor later as his career went downhill. I watched Night Game a couple of months ago, from 1989, and he wasn't really doing anything interesting in it. And I couldn't stand him in 2010: The Year We Make Contact. But I love him earlier in his career.

I thought it was great in Maestro how the makeup people made Bradley Cooper steadily become leatherier over time until his skin became a catcher's mitt too.

Yeah, Criterion is very specific. It's best if you're into art house film. That's the stuff I really love to explore, but my wife rolls her eyes a lot of the time, so I don't push it. I love that the movie they just had at the top of their popular section is one of my top five movies, The Insider, so again, I feel right at home there haha. I'm curious to see what you think of it after exploring.

Kanopy is truly incredible, and I love that they have soooo many art house and obscure films. That is a great place for me when I'm looking for something specific my subscriptions don't have.

We Mike Birbiglia The Old Man And The Pool, and I always think that guy is a genius. I loved all of it, just like all his specials. We got to see a special show of him years ago that cost less because he was trying out new ideas, and it was unbelievable. I just love that guy. He, to me, is in that realm of comedy that's transcendent to what most people do. He makes the whole thing feel like an art piece that happens to be funny.

We Mike Birbiglia The Old Man And The Pool, and I always think that guy is a genius. I loved all of it, just like all his specials. We got to see a special show of him years ago that cost less because he was trying out new ideas, and it was unbelievable. I just love that guy. He, to me, is in that realm of comedy that's transcendent to what most people do. He makes the whole thing feel like an art piece that happens to be funny.
He's amazing and so is that special. :beer

I think I’ve been ‘watching’ this for the last couple months in bits and pieces-

Most interesting take away- despite being plundered and taken over by various invaders, every invader but the Assyrians assimilated to Egypt’s cultures and religion instead of tearing it all down like colonization/invasions generally worked. And even the Assyrians only went in and damaged temples/statues of cultural importance, but that was it. Over the course of hundreds of years and multiple invasions, Egypt remained culturally intact.

It’s like instead of wanting to dominate Egypt and rule it, they wanted to become part of it.

Somewhere In Queens
Holy shit, is this good! SO many different things happening, as told through a large, Italian family of 3 generations. It's funny, wisecracking, introspective, sad, cringe y..., and jumps from emotion to emotion. @State of Epicicity, based on your posts, I think you'd really dig it. Or if you've seen it, I'd be curious of your thoughts.

I still have almost 30 minutes to go, but I was just like, OH FUCK ME, after the shit hit the fan at the wedding anniversary

Somewhere In Queens
Holy shit, is this good! SO many different things happening, as told through a large, Italian family of 3 generations. It's funny, wisecracking, introspective, sad, cringe y..., and jumps from emotion to emotion. @State of Epicicity, based on your posts, I think you'd really dig it. Or if you've seen it, I'd be curious of your thoughts.

I still have almost 30 minutes to go, but I was just like, OH FUCK ME, after the shit hit the fan at the wedding anniversary

Thanks for the recommendation! None of my subscriptions have this one, but I'll keep an eye out for it when they do.

I pretty much give him a lifetime pass for "Once Were Warriors". I assume we'd talked about this one a time or 47 but maybe not? Give it a go when you get the urge for an excellent family drama. Not a happy watch but great flick either way. Too funny on the Monica Potter observation. I have always thought she was the poverty blond Julia Roberts without anything redeemable cribbed from the person she was copying :ROFLMAO:

I had forgotten to add this one to my watchlist, but I just remembered, so I added it to my list on kanopy! I told my wife that, without knowing anything about it (and I like to know as little as possible about any movie before I watch it), that it looks like it's Maori based. She immediately came back with "Is that like being plant-based?"

Back