NDSP Quad Cortex

Good news!

QC released a new advertisement:

So the brainstorming session for this ad was basically: "Hey, remember that movie The Matrix? Like when he said we needs lots of guns and then they all showed up....that was cool!"

Happy Chris Farley GIF

This was posted over on "the other place"...

Thoughts? Propaganda? Or legit durable?

Man…so glad you posted this. As a new QC user I was sooo worried if I could throw this thing out of a car on my way to a gig.
I mean…we all understand how important good preparation for a gig is, physically, mentally, throw gear on the highway, know your parts.

such a relief!

Decided to throw the QC in the loop of the Axe 3, then run into the power amp and cab. Curious how the amps stack up.

They are super, super close. I compared a Matchless DC30, Deluxe Reverb, Plexi, and Friedman HBE. Minor sonic differences that generally go away with a slight gain adjustment. Both are really touch sensitive and clean up similarly. The Fractal may have a touch smoother sound with a little more mid presence and the QC may have a touch more low end and sometimes a little more air.

Easily the two closest modelers I've heard sonically.

Decided to throw the QC in the loop of the Axe 3, then run into the power amp and cab. Curious how the amps stack up.

They are super, super close. I compared a Matchless DC30, Deluxe Reverb, Plexi, and Friedman HBE. Minor sonic differences that generally go away with a slight gain adjustment. Both are really touch sensitive and clean up similarly. The Fractal may have a touch smoother sound with a little more mid presence and the QC may have a touch more low end and sometimes a little more air.

Easily the two closest modelers I've heard sonically.
Now do the SLO and Dual Rec 🤣

Now do the SLO and Dual Rec 🤣

I have never liked Dual Recs, but these do sound a little different. I did the Red Modern in both boosted by an 808 model in each. The Fractal is a little tighter and cleaner with a little less mids and the QC is a little fatter and fuzzier with a little more mids. Similar with the SLO, the QC is a little fatter and warmer where the Fractal is tighter with a bit more presence.

I have never liked Dual Recs, but these do sound a little different. I did the Red Modern in both boosted by an 808 model in each. The Fractal is a little tighter and cleaner with a little less mids and the QC is a little fatter and fuzzier with a little more mids. Similar with the SLO, the QC is a little fatter and warmer where the Fractal is tighter with a bit more presence.
adjusting MV and finding similar impedance curves will get close. QC Rectifier seemed alright to me when comparing to my Rev G

Could you just put some compression in the lane and record direct without an amp (or even possibly cab) block? Add some reverb to taste?

Think of it the same as you would if you were plugging it into a mixer. Think of your QC as your mixing console instead of as an “amp”.

Listen to what you get and add things accordingly. Does it need some EQ tweaks? Compression? Reverb? Add what it seems to need to achieve the sound you’re looking for

You know I only got around to finally setting up the acoustic on this today almost two months later but these tips work. The guitar works best with no amps or cabs added at all. Just a tiny bit of compression and some reverb along with some adjustments on built-in pre-amp on the guitar itself.

If they do come out w QC mini or whatever and I picked one up
The SLO X plug-in would be something I would still consider I think ,to me it still sounds better than the one on the unit go figure
That one Nolly , Tone King
Would be some that would be cool

Back