Thinking of trading my Quad Cortex toward this… (Silver Sky content)

Well, to explain, this is based on my recent experience of replacing the 58/15LTs in my 594 with Bare Knuckle Black Dogs, which was a huge improvement. The PRS pickups were very-good-to-great, whereas the BK are truly exceptional and a step above, in my opinion.

But I have not even tried the SS pickups, so who knows. Nice to hear that you love them! I definitely plan to give them a good long chance before changing anything (I had the stock ones in my 594 for about six months, before swapping them out).
If your goal is to get your secondary guitar to exceptional, it's gonna be pricey. Period. So I don't think the "its kinda pricey" concern is valid.

7.25" is totally fine as long as the frets aren't also vintage-sized.

That pink is amazing.

Yes, and to be honest, this whole Strat thing may be fleeting, anyway. Part of the idea with the 594 was bringing just one guitar and still having humbucking + single coil tones. Not that excited to go back to bringing two guitars around, really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
While I love my 594 for versatility, it's so pretty I just don't really lean in to the same way I do my SS or one of my Telecasters. For bar gigs I find the stress of marring the finish on my 594 just holds me back too much. But damn is the 594 a wonderful and versatile guitar to play!

So I went and tried it out, although very briefly as they were closing in 10 min by the time I got there. :rawk :brick :grin

It wasn't instant love, but I didn't not like it, either. Had that great PRS feel and rang out really nicely, acoustically. I usually play a guitar unplugged for a while before plugging it in, anyway. At first the neck felt kind of big around the 8-12th frets, but I got used to it pretty quick. It was very out of tune and kind of grungy feeling, like it's been out as a floor model for a while.

I didn't love the colour as much in person, though. I'll probably check out the white one later this week. Also not sure if I wouldn't just rather get a Fender CS.
Yeah time to step back for a bit on this I'd say. You bonded super quick with the QC and this does not sound anywhere near as an instant hit for you.

Yeah time to step back for a bit on this I'd say. You bonded super quick with the QC and this does not sound anywhere near as an instant hit for you.

Totally. I'll probably check out the white SS and look around for other options, but no real rush.

I did list the QC locally and put that I'm open to trades as well, so we'll see.

On a side note, I was getting great sounds out of the Stomp today, using the Mark IV Lead model with my Matrix + Recto 2x12. Also great with the Placater, Rockerverb, and 2203. Reminds me to give the HX amp models a fair shake, as they can hold their own, really.

While I love my 594 for versatility, it's so pretty I just don't really lean in to the same way I do my SS or one of my Telecasters. For bar gigs I find the stress of marring the finish on my 594 just holds me back too much. But damn is the 594 a wonderful and versatile guitar to play!

Maybe because it's a gold top, but I don't feel a need to be gentle or worried with my 594 at gigs, thankfully. (Then again, I've also pissed at a urinal with my R9 in one hand, between sets, so there you go... :rofl )

Maybe because it's a gold top, but I don't feel a need to be gentle or worried with my 594 at gigs, thankfully. (Then again, I've also pissed at a urinal with my R9 in one hand, between sets, so there you go... :rofl )

Yeah. Never shaking your hand. :hmm

So I went and tried out the Frost white SS last night. Funny enough, I was also in there just before they were closing. :bonk

I really liked it. Great playing and sounding guitar and I liked the look a lot better than the pink one, when seen in person. Also, the maple seemed to have a darker tint to it, both on the back of the neck and the headstock? Looked really great with the dark rosewood and white body.

I didn't immediately love the neck pickup, but the 2 and 4 positions sounded really good. I was plugged straight into a Pro Junior.

This one is a 2023, but I'm not sure what year the pink one was. Maybe that accounts for the tint difference?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and the plastic cover on the pickguard seemed weirdly beaten up? It had scratches all over it, some looking like they might go through to the pickguard, which seems really odd. The store guy said they just got it last week, so I don't know how much wear&tear it would've gotten in that time? But he could also be full of it.

Just seems weird, as you'd have to really be strumming hard and wide to have put these marks all over it. Of course, it doesn't matter, as long as they didn't go through the plastic cover.

I didn't immediately love the neck pickup, but the 2 and 4 positions sounded really good. I was plugged straight into a Pro Junior.
The Silver Sky broke me out of my 2 and 4 habit. I barely use those positions now. It's weird. I ride the middle pickup quite a bit.

7.25” radius and 6230 frets should send anyone running. Yes they can work but why force yourself into using something that is objectively bad design. To illustrate my point;
If you set up two guitars with the exact same relief and action one 12-14 compound and the other 7.25 the 12-14 has nearly 50% yes 50 more next fret clearance at all the critical points. So in order to get the same potential dynamic range the action needs to be considerably higher. And the tragedy is that is just to achieve the same dynamics as the 12-14 with a low action. Imagine if you have the 12-14 with a medium action. Now add poor grip potential of 6230 and the fact that a curve in the fingerboard is not more ergonomic with a human hand. The only reason people like it is they got used to it. You should just get used to something that actually helps you.

Back