The dreaded PRS thread - love (and hate)

The neck is subjective I suppose. I have a variety of neck types and radii, and the only one I shy away from is my MIJ strat with a 7.25" radius, though even that has its charms if i adjust my picking and playing. I don't think there's anything objectively problematic with them.

Yeah, fair enough on the pickups. I can't speak for their newer pickup designs, but my McCarty's original pickups weren't good. I put Bareknuckles In there and it sings. I'm not the only person to comment negatively on their legacy pickups like the HFS. A good friend says "noone buys a PRS for the pickups".

Mine came with speed knobs, so no issues. The rotary switch was their "premier" switching method, so I suppose top hat knobs wouldn't, in theory, be so problematic as the rotary knob took care of tapping (didn't it?). Originally the toggle switching and coil tap was an option if I remember rightly, so they probably didn't select knobs for their ease of pulling on. Did you buy yours new?

But as I say, they must have brought speed knobs in later.

I agree with the PUs, but even then, none of these are particular flaws in the design of the guitars.
Purchased used but no reason to believe the knobs were switched out either. If the coil tap were a push instead of a pull it would be zero issue. Trying to pull up on this knob while playing on a dark stage, forget it.
I have short creepy stubby fingers. I’m really sensitive to neck profiles. 7 1/2” radius strat forget it. Never for me.

I’ve had a McCarty for about 20 years. That guitar feels like an extension of my hands. It’s comfortable and I think the wide fat neck is one of the best shapes I’ve ever played.

I go back and forth on the pickups. They’re very dynamic which I love, but I do sometimes wish they were more PAF and less tonally balanced. One of these days I’ll swap them and see whether or not they stay.

I go back and forth between the McCarty and the strat the most, with my Gretsch getting some work along the way too. If the McCarty had a trem, I’d probably play it 90% of the time.

D

I LOVE PRS guitars. I have had six or seven over the years. I currently own a 2007 Singlecut trem with the solid rosewood neck and a 2015 513, both are exceptional instruments. I started playing guitar around 93' when they were first starting to get big and have loved them ever since.

Back