New UGD: 00's Ibanez AF95

Ibanez gold hardware corrodes better than most other gold hardware?
Yeah I think so too.

My '77 has worn fairly well, other than the plating coming off on the bridge -- but that's just character.
I have the original gold tuning keys too, I may put those back on although I need to fix one.
1977-Artist.jpeg

One that I think was brought to my attention by @AFKAEjay was the GB30 George Benson semi-hollow sig guitar from the 80s

Also came in red with similarly blacked out hardware: https://reverb.com/item/55815585-ib...-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

The newer GB10 small body hollow body George Benson's are super cool, but the floating mini hums just don't QUITE have enough oomph for my taste.
I like that Cherry Red. :love

My '77 has worn fairly well,

That's awesome! I played a Musician MC300 in the late 70s and then about 15 years ago I bought one for nostalgia reasons and all the gold hardware looked so cool on it. Just like yours actually!

Last edited:
One that I think was brought to my attention by @AFKAEjay was the GB30 George Benson semi-hollow sig guitar from the 80s

Also came in red with similarly blacked out hardware: https://reverb.com/item/55815585-ib...-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

The newer GB10 small body hollow body George Benson's are super cool, but the floating mini hums just don't QUITE have enough oomph for my taste.
This one…

Edit, forgot about this clip ;)

I came to agreement on selling it today…I’m gonna let it go a little heavy hearted. It’s a great guitar, but it in my mancave it’s got some heavy hitters as competition, so I’m gonna let this one go, so I got room to try something else. Yamaha SA 2200 also on sale…not to shabby either.

Going nowhere is the 80s GB 10…love that guitar.
Ibanez makes/made so much great guitars. 80s artist series are super nice. If I run into an 80s Scofield I might try that. Couple of weeks ago I grabbed an Ibanez of the wall in a shop…probably AM2000…very nice guitar. Basically every Ibanez hollow I had in my hands was at least great for the price.

I might grab a Seventy Seven stork jazz, unknown brand, MIJ, Les Paul shaped hollow. Downside is that if I don’t like it…gonna be a hard sell cause it’s an unknown brand,

Last edited:
But I wouldn't put a mic in front of it anytime soon.

Once it's ready for primetime, you may want to try that, though, should you be into some really oldfahioned swing style guitar sound. Mix it with a clean amp sound and you might be pretty much there already.

We literally disagree on everthing. Fresh strings are the worst. All you hear is the zing of the string.

Sounds much better than expected acoustically. But I wouldn't put a mic in front of it anytime soon.
One more vote to try putting a condensor mic in front if it and mix that with an amps sound. Gives a nice top end…just a wee bit opens it up.

With the flats -- man, those unwound strings get really pokey! Do I need to go in and lower pole pieces on those two strings to get a more even balance or some other trick? I'm digging the flats quite a bit...which is just going to make me want to find another hollowbody so I can have one strung with rounds around, to, because the rounds are much better for t-bone walker/jump blues type stuff :bonk :bonk

Here it is with Thomastik Swing (flats) 11 gauge. Very quick and dirty patch on the new Axe III using a brown face super as amp model and...was close enough to Burrell tone I didn't bother tweaking any more?

With the flats -- man, those unwound strings get really pokey! Do I need to go in and lower pole pieces on those two strings to get a more even balance or some other trick? I'm digging the flats quite a bit...which is just going to make me want to find another hollowbody so I can have one strung with rounds around, to, because the rounds are much better for t-bone walker/jump blues type stuff :bonk :bonk
Sounds good to me! Nicely played!
I have never been aware of the unwound being specifically pokey with wounds. Maybe wait untill the first edge of freshness is off the strings…and if you still feel they are…lower polepieces, that’s what they are for.

I have one guitar stringed with flats, (GB10), not sure it would have been if it hadn’t come with those when I got it. I seem the gravitate to a more modern sound, also for the traditional repertoire. They do work well specifically with piano players that comp heavy…#midrangegetsthru

Excellent justification for keeping one more guitar around ;) I’m a little top heavy on hollows atm….7…;(…Trying to sell the Yamaha 2200

Back