New Peavey 6505 II and Original 92

Another thing, looking at the schematic of the SLO and the og 5150 it's very clear that the 5150 started its life as a clone of the SLO and then refined. I like the history part of it too, the Tone-Talk episode with James Brown is now a classic in itself, I've listened to it more thanonce.
James Brown did some cool stuff at Peavey. VTM 120 the first production amp with switchable Jose clipping diodes in the circuit. 5150 had a resonance control (and its possibly my favourite one on any amp, much better than the depth on SLO's).

For Recto's, I guess it'll depend on which tones you like. I'd be amazed if there isn't a single band you like that didn't use them at one point. A mistake people often make is they'll switch the modes but won't really dial the amps differently. If its set up for one mode, switching to another will sound bad, they need quite different EQ and volume settings because the whole design of the amp changes. Modern tends to sound quite impressive with minimal work so I think thats part of the reason so many people go to that. Vintage can be great but you may need to set things a little weird.

I ended up going for the 6505 because it seemed less finicky to dial in a rock or metal sound than a Rectifier. I need to find some time to try boosting the crunch channel. I like how that channel sounds unboosted, as along as I don’t try to compare it to a Marshall crunch.

I’ve probably dreamed of buying a Single or Dual Recto on and off for many years. I’ve always had trouble dialing Recto sims, and felt I’d have an even harder time with the real thing. I did really enjoy how they sounded on all those late 90s and early 2000s records. Maybe one day.

One of the more intriguing Recto sounds to me is the guitar sound on morning view from Incubus, where it sounds like the neck pickup is used for rhythm sounds.

I ended up going for the 6505 because it seemed less finicky to dial in a rock or metal sound than a Rectifier. I need to find some time to try boosting the crunch channel. I like how that channel sounds unboosted, as along as I don’t try to compare it to a Marshall crunch.

I’ve probably dreamed of buying a Single or Dual Recto on and off for many years. I’ve always had trouble dialing Recto sims, and felt I’d have an even harder time with the real thing. I did really enjoy how they sounded on all those late 90s and early 2000s records. Maybe one day.
Keep the master low (at least for modern mode) and its hard to go wrong really. If the master is too high, then everyone ends up fighting with the EQ too much and get into trouble. It can also be tempting to just go mental on bass, when most of the time there is little reason to go much above 5. For modern mode though, you can basically EQ with your eyes and get a pretty solid tone AS LONG AS the master is low enough.

5150's are like that too but just slightly more forgiving. They sound pretty dreadful with the master above 4.

I love the Recto. So much.

I love 5150's, but currently don't own one. And I think I shall fix thst this year.

My friend has an SLO. They're fucking amazing. But too much £££ for me right now.

Back